- Exposure to cotton dust during the spinning and manufacturing process
- Smoking (risk factor)
Monday fever:Pusually report symptoms towards the beginning of their work week and thus the term Monday fever
- Frequent coughing, chest tightness, dyspnea, and at times, wheezing, particularly within a few hours of exposure (or reexposure) to the workplace.
Chronic byssinosis state:Once exposure and lung irritation becomes persistent, patients will no longer have cyclical symptoms and progress to the chronic byssinosis state
- Occupational asthma (symptoms present towards the end of work week)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis.
- Stopping exposure and smoking
- Short- and long-acting β-agonists
- Inhaled corticosteroid