Acute manifestation of bilateral pitting edema, erythema, and local tenderness along with cardiac and respiratory problems in severe cases leading to death.
- Watery diarrhoea and vomiting
Leakage of the protein-rich plasma component into the extracellular compartment:
- Bilaterally symmetrical pitting oedema of the lower limbs
- Marked cutaneous flush with tenderness
- Blanching of oedematous parts on pressure
- Burning sensations, itching and paresthesias
- Exertional breathlessness
- Orthopnoea progressing to frank right-sided congestive cardiac failure
- Mild to moderate anaemia
- Mild to moderate renal azotemia
- Retinal haemorrhages
- Hypersecretory glaucoma
There is no specific therapy.
- Removal of the adulterated oil
- Symptomatic treatment of congestive cardiac failure and respiratory symptoms